A bit of self-promotion... :)

Bookmark and Share

Antique ...


This was brought to my mind a few days ago, when I was ordering some computer improvements for my company's computer systems. So, here at our company we have ~ 130 computers. They are mostly low end machines dating from 2005. So expect the usual : AMD Athlon 1600, 256 DDR and 40 Gigs HDD space. As time passes by the system requirements of new software begins to rise. So some upgrades are needed. Ok let's see... Hmmm what CAN I upgrade here? Hey, let's boost the RAM another 1GB + will do the trick 'till we can buy some new computers.

Ok so here it goes, DDR1 (SD RAM) was NOT introduced so long ago. Let's say somewhere around 2001 ~ 2002 when it went into mass commercial sales. That's ~ 9 years ... Nine freakin' years for some stuff (which was so widely available) to become ANTIQUE !!!


Let's set some facts 2 years ago you could by a 1GB of DDR1 Ram for about 10 ~ 12 Euros ( I hope I got this right) and you could buy it apsolutely anywhere. But now... 35 euros for a single module of 1GB DDR1 ?! Too much, and you can find it well, almost no where.


Yeah, so it seems that computer parts which get obsolete (and do get that way FAST), get a price massive price boost within months. And they are really scarce.


Imagine me now, I have to acquire 130 modules of 1GB DDR1 ... That is ~ 4500 euros! Hmm, and where to get the 130 modules of this Archaic RAM ...

I guess, if you are slow, there is no place for you in the computer buisness. And the one guy who is slow in this case it's my company.

Well let them pay for their ignorance.

View Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus